Tuesday 18 March 2014

4 tips to teach children how to deal with FEAR


When it comes to wine, champagne and pate, the French are pretty much ahead of us Brits … but there’s another area where they definitely have the edge.
Across Britain, there’s been a surge in the number of rope swing/assault courses, which are set in the trees and under the banner of GO APE. They make for a great family day out and even for light-hearted people, they’re fairly tame affairs. But take yourself across the channel to one of the French versions and you enter a different world. The complexity of their courses, the difficulty of the obstacles and the sheer height factor, it’s enough to give the wobbles to the bravest of souls.
And so it was, on a family holiday in the South of France last year, that along with my eldest daughter aged 10, I found myself clinging to a tree for dear life, 15 meters up, streaming with sweat and wondering why I’d paid good money to put us through such a trial. Unfortunately for my daughter's two friends (also aged 10), they were also up there with us, hanging on and also wishing they were back on solid ground.
Now there are a lot of similarities between my daughter and her friends. They’re sporty, fit, happy and outgoing, they receive strong parenting and are encouraged greatly in the various aspects of their lives, but on that day, there was one crucial difference between them which meant that my daughter completed the course whilst her friends had to be helped down by the staff and went home disappointed that they’d not been able to complete it.
Due to some of the unique challenges, which my daughter has faced, she’s been deliberately coached to handle herself in times of extreme stress and has developed well-rehearsed strategies to control her mind.

On several occasions during the course, my daughter could be heard repeating to herself

"I’m harnessed so I can’t fall. This might be scary, but I can do this."

"Come on, you can do this. It’s just the height that makes this scary and I'm harnassed so I can't fall."

On several occasions, I heard her friends say:

"I’m going to fall, I’m going to fall."

"I can’t do this, I’m stuck."

Unsurprisingly, for my daughter and her friends, their self-talk dictated the outcome (as it does in so many situations in our lives). Up in the trees and fighting the fear, my daughter demonstrated her ability to MANAGE HER STATE, something, which is critical for success whether that’s in sport, relationships or business.
- She focused on her permanent strengths (“Come on, you can do this.")
        
- She avoided paralysis through fear by considering the situation from a variety of angles (“It’s just the height that makes this scary. I can’t fall because I’m harnessed.”)

So a key question remains for parents … how do you teach children to manage their state?
Tip 1 - Be a model:
Children replicate their parent’s characteristics. Whatever you want your child to be and whatever you want them NOT to be, examine your own behaviour to check it sets the right example.
Subtle hint - YOU CANNOT EXPECT YOUR CHILDREN TO MANAGE THEIR STATE IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO MANAGE YOURS! 
 Tip 2 - Zero tolerance to “can’t” (for you and your children):
Family life is tiring, whether it’s housework, finances, school runs, temper tantrums … it never stops and often it’s overwhelming. Amidst the chaos and fatigue, it’s easy to allow bits of negativity to go unchallenged, but once it does, it’s a slippery slope.
Whether your child is complaining about housework, school-work, or they’re trying a new food, or struggling with a subject they don’t like or an activity you’ve planned … you must be 100% committed to weeding out the word “can’t” from their vocabulary (and yours). The word “can’t“, leads children to avoid the things which they could conquer in time, and it paralyses them when the pressure is on.
Tip 3 – Coaching approach to parenting
The more you command and the less you coach, the less your children will think for themselves and the less they’ll be able to think their way out of difficult situations. Therefore, if you want your children to be successful, you have to encourage them to think for themselves and adopt a coaching parenting approach instead of a commanding approach:
For example, swop:
"Get off the fence because you’ll break it." (command)
With:
"What will happen if you keep playing on the fence?" (coaching)
Allow your children to find the answers for themselves, guiding them to the answers if necessary.
Tip 4 – Strength finding
Invest time with your children to help them discover, and remember their unique strengths. Their awareness of the things which make them special and valued, will be vital to keeping them positive and logical when they’re feeling overwhelmed.


Thanks for reading - I help people achieve more in their lives by developing their resilience, influence and productivity. 

Call me - 0121 420 3457 / 07760 444 946
Email me - enquiries@impactlife.co.uk
Connect with me on Linkedin - http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewpain
Like me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ImpactLifeUK
Follow me on twitter - www.twitter.com/andrewpain1974
Check out my website - www.impactlife.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment